Thursday, June 10, 2010

Michael Wesch: A Vision of Students Today

I found this video compilation to be another thought-provoking jolt to the status quo of our education system. The information and statistics presented were very representative of my first college experience, working on my bachelor’s degree in education in the mid ‘90s. However, my experience at USA (2000 – 2002 Instructional Design MS) was entirely different. I honestly had an extremely interactive, relevant educational experience (no flattery intended here), possibly because of the nature of the program of study. This was very likely not the experience University wide.

Of particular interest to me, were some of the comments found under the video link on Youtube. Education is a field FULL of disillusioned, burned-out warriors who once had the desire and drive to change the world, and have now been beaten down by reality. Perhaps, I am just feeling cynical this morning as I write, but these sweeping changes, that are so obvious and desperately needed, seem very elusive and nearly impossible. How many people out their will work as hard as this KSU professor, or Vicki Davis to revolutionize their little corner of the world?


It's Not About the Technology
by Kelly Hines

It really is all about the teacher. We are discussing in my EEC 300 classroom management class, how the teacher is the single most important determining factor affecting whether or not learning takes place. I believe an effective teacher can teach anything.
You write that teachers must be learners, and I agree completely. There are systems in place to nudge teachers along in that direction. Short-term certificates and continuing education force teachers to seek out learning opportunities. However, these are often looked at as something to be endured so that one can return to the status quo. The desire to learn comes from within, and I am not sure that I understand yet how to awaken that desire in myself or my students. The class I am participating in has stirred my desire to reach out and find ways to change my teaching methods in my middle school math classroom. But I don’t know how to keep this desire fresh. I don’t want to settle into my old routines once the everyday responsibilities of a school year set back in.




Karl Fisch: Is It Okay to Be A Technologically Illiterate Teacher?

Part of your post really spoke to my personal experience. I am a middle school math teacher. Countless times, I have endured parent conferences that begin with the parent stating "I am not good at math!" or some variation of that sentiment. When did it become okay to accept a critical weakness as "who I am", and not strive to better one’s self? This idea of labeling weaknesses and excusing them has permeated academia and social scenarios, and has led to a decline in our expectations. Technology is only the newest genre to be shunned by those who have no interest in bettering themselves.

That being said, I believe technological literacy is a crucial element of effective teaching, but not the most important. A love of learning and a desire to innovate are what makes a teacher successful, and these traits should prompt a teacher to become technologically literate. So perhaps we have a “chicken or the egg” debate here regarding the hierarchy of importance.

I read your post as part of an assignment for Dr. John Strange’s EDM 310 class http://edm310.blogspot.com and would love to hear any response you may have on my blog http://tharpkimberlyedm310.blogspot.com.

Thank you for prompting me to think.


Gary Hayes Social Media Count

Watching the social media counter, I could not escape the feeling that we are building up to a point when something monumental will occur. I have no idea what that might be, but it feels as if there must be some breaking point. Can these programs grow at these exponential numbers infinitely? When will we, humans, reach our capacity for involvement, or will we ever? Strange thoughts for late at night…

As a teacher, attempting to suppress social networking in my classroom will be a losing battle. My goal is to embrace it, as we are hearing repeatedly through these movies and posts. I want to read all I can about incorporating my students technical prowess into my math curriculum.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you completely in your post about "It's Not About The Technology". I have no experience in the classroom as you do, but I do believe that an effective teacher can teach anything. I do realize that teaching will be challenging at times, but will be absolutely rewarding at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My own Strange thoughts in response to yours: my hope for change has been renewed by what is happening in EDM310 as a whole. It is a struggle to stay fresh and to adapt to change. When it happens, however, it gives you a great rush of excitement and pride.

    Excellent! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete