Monday, June 21, 2010

Blog Post #5

My response to

Why Smartboards are a Dumb Initiative by Michael Staton
and
Why I Hate Interactive Whiteboards by Bill Ferriter

In registering for EDM 310, I was particularly interested in the Smartboard training we would receive as part of this class. I am a middle school math teacher and will have an eBeam installed in my classroom this summer. Reading the two critiques of Smartboards certainly took the wind out of my sails. But after further research, I am comforted.

The eBeam is a portable unit that can be attached to any surface, converting it into an interactive computer screen, even without the use of a projector. The cost is significantly lower than that of a Smartboard and the capabilities are very similar. I am still researching and learning exactly what those capabilities are and how I will use them in my classroom, but I feel that my school made a more economical choice, and that with the technology I am being exposed to, I will be able to download supplemental programs to perform any task in my classroom.

I did find a blog listing several benefits of using an interactive whiteboard in the classroom
http://education.families.com/blog/classroom-technology-interactive-whiteboards

I think the first benefit listed may be the most valid of them all. It is hard for the technologically literate to understand the fear behind those who are not comfortable using new technologies. However, part of being tolerant and open to one another’s differences is accepting how hard change can be. Even a teacher who is eager to learn new methods may struggle if they have not been immersed in technology for much of his or her life. Michael Staton mentioned having given away his IWB after realizing he could recreate the same information at little or no cost. Perhaps that is the key, free technology for the tech savvy, and IWB’s for those who need the simplicity and “push” into the newest opportunities as teachers.

Podcasts in Classrooms

After watching the video EDM 310 for Dummies, I began to think of a topics I think would make a useful or entertaining video. As I am exploring the blogs of the students at the Pt England School, I find myself wondering about the guidelines put forth for allowing these students to publish to the web. For example, what information are they restricted from publishing, what training are they given on internet safety, and how much assistance does the teacher provide for each of these blogposts? I think a video answering some of these procedural questions would be beneficial to a teacher wanting to implement these techniques into a classroom. A more entertaining video might involve tips for keeping Dr. Strange happy with your work (after reading several of his responses to classmates, it appears many could use such a video).

4 comments:

  1. You have some very good points about restricting children on their blogs. I think this is challenging but necessary. It is a very good idea to research these types of things to keep the children safe and learning things that pertain to the subject.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have some very good points about restricting children on their blogs. I think this is challenging but necessary. It is a very good idea to research these types of things to keep the children safe and learning things that pertain to the subject.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Smartboards: Excellent. The eBeam sounds like it would be better than the SMARTBoard. We discussed getting some last year but SMART made the University a "deal." You can do a lot with just a computer and an overhead projector as well!

    Contact Dorothy Burt at Pt England School. Her email is available there under Staff. Your movie idea would make a great final project.

    But then your second suggestion is not a bad idea either. You would be a perfect one to direct it since your work always keeps me happy!

    What did you think of The Chipper Series?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had not watched the chipper series because the server would not respond when I was completing this assignment WAY to late Sunday night, so i just watched it. Excellent videos, very entertaining. Was this Poppy's summative project?

    ReplyDelete