Monday, June 28, 2010

comments4teachers 1

photo of Paula White
Kids Know What Matters Posted by Paula White

An answer???

You are tackling the job of recommending class placements from one angle only: what decision is in the best interest of the child concerned? You ask why teachers ignore the recommendations you make. I propose that they are placing students in a manner that creates the best classroom composition for the TEACHER. Rather than focusing on the research you mentioned, or the specific social and developmental needs of the student, teachers are “balancing out” the classrooms based on numbers of students who are discipline problems, low achievers, high achievers, and those who require accommodations for remediation or enrichment. Perhaps the convenience of the teacher is taking a higher priority than the needs of the students. It is disturbing to see that accusation written in black and white, but I fear that is more the norm than we like to believe. I have never had the privilege of teaching recognized gifted students, but I am thrilled to read about a teacher who understands their needs and strives to meet them. Thank you for working so hard to see that each child is placed in a classroom in which they can “soar”.

I am a student at the University of South Alabama participating in Dr. John Strange’s EDM 310 class.
http://www.edm310.blogspot.com/

I will be summarizing my responses in a post to my blog on June 30.
http://www.tharpkimberlyedm310.blogspot.com/

Thank you for the insights you have shared.


Teaching in a silo by Paula White

I wrote my last response to you before reading your latest blog entry. I think I now know how you will feel about my “stay fresh” plan. As I read “Teaching in a Silo”, I thought through each of my co-workers, trying to determine if there is a deep-thinker who might challenge me in the ways you mentioned. I returned to teaching in December after a break to raise my family, so I am still a new faculty member. Interacting with teachers around the world will be crucial for stimulating new ideas, but I certainly concede that we need someone right there, in our building, who knows our students and challenges. With a “critical friend” we can take ideas and make them realities, or filter those ideas and toss them out.
Thank you for the reminder that I do not need to be an island; it is okay to lean on someone. Thank you for reminding me how blessed I am to have a principal that “gets me”. And thank you for reminding me that school gossip and politics has very little positive impact on what I am trying to accomplish.



Why Don't Schools Have Innovation As An Expectation

The line “the copier is the innovator” sticks in my mind as I read your post regarding Innovation As An Expectation. I learned to sew about 8 years ago and have enjoyed making outfits for my children. I particularly enjoy visiting pricey children’s boutiques, then going home to replicate things I liked for a fraction of the cost. On numerous occasions I have said “I can make anything you show me, just don’t make me design something myself.” I labeled myself as non-creative and skilled only in technical applications. THEN, God exhibited his sense of humor by placing this “left-brained” mathematics teacher in a one-semester-only position as our school’s Art instructor. ART…you’ve got to be kidding. So, I learned a lot about art and about myself and now I’ll get back to the point.
I think I have learned that you do not have to be a copier OR a creator, you can be both at the same time. Throughout history, progress has been made by standing on what has already been learned and reaching further. As each new skill or invention was perfected, users have accepted it as commonplace and looked for ways in which it can be improved. In the present, we find ourselves with virtually all information just a click away, and a seemingly infinite number of people accessing it and improving upon it. Thus, the exponential growth of innovation is inevitable, and “copying” is the stepping stone toward new ideas.

This was a fascinating post she mentioned: A Constituent of Innovation by Michael J. J. Gras, White Oak ISD

1 comment: