Saturday, June 12, 2010

Don't Teach Your Kids This Stuff. Please?

by Scott McLeod

In three weeks of EDM 310, we have already been exposed a vast array of blogs, videos, and websites intended to spur us into some action as future and present educators. My impression of Scott McLeod’s poem is that this was written simply as personal expression. Perhaps his satire was not intended to “change the world”, he simply feels that he has found the best way to prepare his children for the future, and is confident that they will be better prepared than many of their peers. Poetry is so often used as a forum for expressing one’s thoughts and ideas. I felt this message was very personal, to individuals, rather than school systems and curriculum planners.




The iSchool Initiative

What about handwriting? As I listened to this well-formulated argument, I can’t help thinking, there are skills that cannot be taught on the computer screen. Fine arts and speech-making (for a live audience) would be lost in an iTouch-only classroom setting. I presume that this iSchool initiative is designed for a secondary school setting, for the list increases dramatically for elementary students.

Why would one choose and iTouch for this classroom revolution? I realize the cost is a leading factor in convincing someone to take this new approach to education. However, it seems to me that waiting a brief time, until the iPad is available at a lower cost makes more sense. I have an iPod Touch and most websites are somewhat difficult to navigate based on the size. With an iPad, pages would be sized accessibly.


The Lost Generation

The presentation method for this video is extremely powerful. The first few moments draw the listener in through the perplexing monologue. As with many such creations, the idea itself is as impressive as the final work. I am wondering, what specifically is the “lost generation”. Could that be any generation, or is there an age group commonly referred to in those terms?


Eric Whitacre's Virtual Choir


What a beautiful form of art. I am glad Jennifer shared this with us, and I hope others will share discoveries as well. As I watched the video I thought, how did they connect in such a way that there no gaps or pauses in their webcam transmission. My second thought was where did he find such a vast array of musical talent, tech savvy enough to participate in such an ambitious project. And my third thought was, PEOPLE, you are being watched all over the world, brush your hair, make your bed, be presentable!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kimberly,

    Your Scott McLeod link is not working properly, you may want to review your HTML code. Although I agree that his use of poetry was an effective way to convey his thoughts and a good example for his students, I think his main message was to remind authority figures that fear of the unknown should not inhibit learning.

    All of these videos are new to EDM310 since I was a student just two semesters ago. I was in awe by each of them. The tools that high school senior was promoting seemed so farfetched that I had to check them out for myself. I now have the most important US Documents and information about our government on my iTouch and access to 23,000+ classic books all for about three dollars. I am impressed. Of course providing your students with an iPad is great, but making homework pocket tote-able seems more appealing to me. You should check out the apps yourself, I bet you would be just as stunned.

    I do recall the Lost Generation video... I thought it was powerful before she rewound it-- then when she reversed the message, my jaw dropped. I think her reference to the Lost Generation is not so much one age group that has already been lost, but more the predictions that older people with little faith have about our future. One that is yet to come-- she emphasizes that our generation can and will avoid being "lost."

    To find out more about Eric Whitaker's Choir, you can follow his blog. I can't wait to do something like this. I can't imagine how, but I WILL find an application for this production in my future. Your comments about their hair and background crack me up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kimberly,
    I really enjoyed reading your post and I love some of your questions you threw in. They made me smile. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete