Sunday, July 25, 2010

Motivation - Final Reflections

Motivation

One beautiful summer …two classes…a teacher grudgingly dragged back to school by the need to re-certify…a serious lack of motivation to learn.

I did not begin this semester as a student eager to learn or as a teacher anxious to better myself and enhance my skills. “I have to do this so let’s get it over with” (complete with eye-roll and sigh), I was heard saying frequently. The first morning of EDM 310 was overwhelming. The work would be enormously time consuming, but I was mildly excited about the new skills I would be learning. Class #2 was much less intimidating, and down-right comfortable. Check off assignments A,B,C,D… get your points, make your A, done.

I dove right in with both classes, knocking out assignments ahead of schedule. For each EDM assignment I was given a general framework of what was expected, and then worked my way through it. There were technical complications, software malfunctions, time issues, and numerous questions that I encountered, always knowing that Dr. Strange was standing in the background, eager to help, but never interrupting my learning process. For class #2, every assignment was explained thoroughly, with numerous examples and resources handed to me, thus alleviating any discomfort the students may feel through the learning process. In EDM we were told “Do your work well and you will get you’re A, if you don’t, you won’t.” In class #2, every point was defined and categorized, and it was completely clear what must be accomplished in order to receive the grade you desire.

With every post and every project, it became clearer to me that others were reading and analyzing my EDM work. I received some empty flattery, some thought-provoking questions, and some true praise for the effort that I was putting forth. For every Class #2 assignment, I received … 10/10, or 50/50, and perhaps a “Good Job!” at the top of a paper. I did exactly what was required of me and not one ounce more. Now I must note here that I was learning from Class #2. The class discussions led me to ponder ways I can improve my classroom in the fall, and I truly wish I could have taken this class before my first year as a teacher. My discussion here has nothing to do with subject matter, as both classes were truly valuable.

My comparison of these two classes came into sharpest contrast as I prepared to write a final reflection paper for each. The requirements for the Class #2 paper were explicitly outlined, down to font size and margin widths. Knowing exactly how long it must be, I wrote an organized, well-structured reflection using expansive vocabulary and excellent sentence structure. It is well-deserving of the A it will receive, and is in all ways … completely boring. I personally hope I never have to read it again.

In contrast, my EDM final reflection has consumed my thoughts for weeks. How should I approach it? What questions do I want to answer? Should I treat this as a review of what I have learned, or express new thoughts and ideas? Will my professors and classmates read it hanging on each word, or skim to the end to make the obligatory comment? (That question remains to be answered.)

Throughout the summer, I have pondered student motivation. How can I stimulate it? Can it be taught? Where does it come from? Can it be developed in every student, or are some just hopeless? Is it intrinsic or is the teacher responsible for awakening it? As I pondered my approach toward writing these two papers, I realized I am a perfect case study. I am one student, taking two classes in the same time period, covering comparatively interesting and relevant subject matter, receiving the same grade for each class. The difference for me is motivation. I am driven to push into wee morning hours night after night, writing and rewriting, trying and editing, reading, watching, and thinking. I am following paths not required, and seeking to answer my own questions, all in an effort to be the best EDM student I can be. At the same time, I plod through each Class #2 assignment, meeting every deadline, and doing nothing more than what is required. What happened? Instructor #2 did everything exactly like our education classes tell us we should. I like her; I liked the text; I liked the classmates, many of whom were also taking EDM. I believe the difference may have been expectation.

As educators, we talk about the need for high expectations of our students, and find tragic examples of students failing under teachers who do not expect them to succeed. But I don’t think we really show teachers how to have high expectations. Guidelines and parameters are absolutely necessary in our assignments. We detail every instruction, and answer every question before it can be asked, trying to guarantee that every student will meet the criteria laid out and therefore succeed. But as we spoon feed our students, ensuring that no one falls, aren’t we also finding that no one soars?

I have seen incredible things this semester in EDM 310. Young students have discovered powerful insights and new technology users have created amazing projects, under the direction of Dr. Strange and his assistants. And I have seen many students, under the same instruction, fail to impress, or even measure up, for reasons that can’t be explained. Outside work, family responsibilities, and class loads seemed to play no role in which students were and were not motivated. Dr. Strange fully expected that some of us would impress, others would satisfy, and a few would fail. Instructor #2 ensured that we each had every opportunity to get our points, and, I am sure, hoped that the class would make us better teachers as well.

Was one right and the other wrong? Was the difference really just me and my personal learning style? I don’t know. But I was fascinated at the difference in my own approach to these two final assignments. I am not sure I am any closer to understanding where motivation comes from, but I have witnessed it blossom in myself and seen how Dr. Strange’s expressed high expectations of me, produced work of which I can be proud.

2 comments:

  1. It is a puzzel, isn't it? I guess I run a class like one I would like to be in. For some students it obviously doesn't work. As you correctly point out. But for others, like you, who do soar, it will make a difference in their lives and the lives of others. I also question whether I am doing the "right" thing with my students. Am I failing to stimulate the less well prepared, the less innately able? Perhaps. But then I find that a student who has never soared before does soar. Far higher than I had thought possible? Why? Neither you nor I will ever know, I guess. But it seems necessary for me to open all the doors so that soaring flight is possible. Closed in space, or rules, or rubrics, or lists, or instructions appear to me to place more restrictions on possibilities for greatness than I am willing to tolerate.

    I loved the way you compared the two class, and your thoughtful description of each. But Class #2 is over. EDM310 isn't. We still have to change the world!

    Thanks for your help, your enlightening words, and your demonstration of what is possible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I forgot. I read every word. I can't speak for others, and I have no idea about class#2. But as for me, you make me think. And I really appreciate that a lot.

    ReplyDelete